Sewing the seeds of a good life.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Ladybirds

I'm a sucker for bright colours. And find most of the outfits for little boys to be, in a word, boring.
When you go into the shops, 3/4 of the space is for girls -- hot pink, lime, purple -- colours that zing! And then the boys corner: blue, grey or khaki.
Dull, dull, dull (even with diggers or Thomas the Tank Engine on the front)


So, when I found this fabric, I had to have it for Mitchell. I loved it so much, that I bought it in all three colourways (yellow and green, as well as the red).

That was last year, & I've finally made it up into overalls.




I used the same Ottobre Farmer overalls pattern as for the blue geometric overalls, without dealing with the size issues -- so they're still a bit roomy for him.
[The photos aren't great -- it's hard to get him to stand still to be photographed right now -- he's always on the go!]
The panels of ladybirds on the fabric were separated by the sets of stripes, which I've used for the shoulder straps and to define the waist. I like the straps, but the waist stripes seem make him look a lot wider than he actually is, so I don't think I'll repeat it. Maybe, I could use that detail on one of the pant's legs -- asymmetric details are cool in kids gear right now.



I've added 2 buttons on the straps to allow for growth (and they look quite cute as a button detail as well). The button-holes got sewn a bit too close to the edge (blame doing the finishing at 11 pm). The extra volume comes in handy in the bend & stretch of a toddler's life!

And I have no problem spotting my kid on the other side of the playground!

1 comment: