Sewing the seeds of a good life.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Fabric Addict

I guess I am one -- a fabric addict that is.
I have piles of material in the stash, but I just can't seem to resist adding to the pile when I see something lovely -- particularly when it's a good deal, as well!

So, I decided that I needed some plain cotton jersey, for Mitchell. (I truly didn't have anything suitable in the stash, as this wasn't a fabric that I even looked at pre-baby....). I couldn't find anything that I liked the look of at the local shops (Spotlight, etc.); so off we went to Designer Textiles in Otara. It's a bit of a hike out there -- about 25 minutes drive if the traffic is behaving itself. But, I've been before, and loved their fabrics, particularly the merino jersey.
It's an outlet shop, so you have to be prepared to be flexible.

And I found a lovely soft cotton jersey, in blue and green stripes. It was about the only one, everything else was either polyester/lycra blend or hideous colours. So, of course, I bought it.

But did I stop there, dear Reader? Of course not!

First I found some lovely linen, in soft grey/white/yellow stripes, then another one in shades of blue and another one in broad stripes of blue/red/brown. All of these are ideal for shorts/trousers for Mitchell. Yes, they will have to be ironed, but so lovely against his skin. And for the munificent sum of $4 a metre. How could I turn that down?

And finally, I fell for some of the lovely merino jersey striped in 2 shades of blue. I have heaps of this, but it was so lovely I just couldn't resist. And it is unusual to get patterned jersey, usually it's single colour.

I whisked back home and cut shorts for Mitchell out of the yellow stripe linen, but then had to go to Spotlight for some elastic, as all mine was the wrong size.

And what should I find, but a lovely bright coloured striped cotton knit. I can't imagine how I missed it last time, but it was the only one remotely possible for him (others were either girly or polyester blend). And, because it was the last metre (well actually 1.3 metres) they not only gave it to me for the metre price, but had a special of 30% discount if you bought the whole roll!

I just hope it's not a case of "lucky in fabric, unlucky in sewing"

So, just look at my lovely colourful additions to the Mitchell fabric stash -- could you have resisted?

No comments:

Post a Comment