Sewing the seeds of a good life.

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Sewing for ME

Well. Yes.
I'm desperate for clothes -- none of my pre-baby wardrobe fits (and when the baby in question is nearly 3, then I can't blame the situation on pregnancy!)
So, I decided to make a shift dress, to wear over leggings.
I found some (cheap) fabric that I liked -- from Nicks Fabrics -- a loosely woven black with threads of cerise, purple and metallic silver running through.

I adapted a New Look pattern which I've had for 5 years or so (I made it for a 60s party in a black/white/grey psychadelic swirl pattern)
But adapted for the new use.
I cut it a size larger than the max on the pattern - largest was 16; but I added the same increments used in the smaller sizing, by eye as I cut the fabric. I also added a bit more to the width of the hemline -- hoping that it would 'swing' a bit more.
I eliminated the centre front seam (which has no useful shaping purpose.
And I added pockets.
Later, I eliminated the zip and re-cut the neckline.

The fabric was a demon to sew. The metallic threads kept trapping the needle and altering the tension, causing the thread to snap. And it frayed like anything.
If I were sewing it again, I'd overlock the raw seam edges before I started, rather than at the end. But I wanted to wait until I'd checked the fit, before finishing the seams (in case I had to adjust them)

After I'd put the zipper in, I wasn't happy with the finish, and was about to rip it out and re-do; when I thought about pulling it on with the zipper closed. Yep, it fit. So rip out the zip and stitch up the seam.

I skipped making facings, and just overlocked the raw edges, folded them under and stitched.

I adjusted the hemline a bit higher than the pattern, as I plan to wear leggings underneath.

I sized the pockets based on my hand size and length, then made them wider at the top - trapezium shape - to get that baggy gaping look. I am happy with the pockets, and would do them again.

Once it was finished, and I tried it on, I decided I didn't like the neckline; so re-cut it to be more of a scoop look.

Overall. I can't say I'm wildly excited with the finished look. But that may say more about the shape of the person underneath than the garment itself. It will be useful, and I guess I'll have to be grateful for small mercies.
I had thought about adding some neckline detail. A few fabulous pink or black buttons, or some fabric roses. But I'm not so excited about the finished look, that I want to put in any more effort.
Maybe a black trim around the neck and arm edges would have been more slimming?

Not a great photo - it's hard to take a photo of yourself, even with the camera on delay. The neckline is actually straight (the joggle is just wear). And the silver and cerise have come out much more boldly than the real fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment